The Maine Whoopie Pie Festival takes over the quaint New England town of Dover-Foxcroft each June. It’s a must-see event for anyone with a sweet tooth. And just in case you need some encouragement, we’ve created a list of the Top 10 reasons to make your way to the heart of Maine for this fun festival.
- It’s the most delicious festival you’ll attend all year. Sure there are other food and drink related festivals throughout Maine…but where else can you sample dozens of takes on Maine’s iconic sweet treat?
- It’s unique. This festival takes over downtown Dover-Foxcroft. Meander down charming streets while tasting whoopie pies and enjoying local artisans and businesses. You won’t be stuck inside a big convention hall or uninspiring fairground.
- It’s affordable. Finding budget-friendly family events can be challenging, especially during the summer months. The Maine Whoopie Pie Festival is only $5 a person, and it’s free for kids under 12!
- There’s something for everyone. Don’t love whoopie pies? There are lots of other tasty treats to try. Kids will enjoy activities and crafts all day long. Live music and the annual whoopie pie eating contest provide memorable entertainment.
- You get free stuff! Everyone who pays the $5 entry fee gets a goody bag with tokens used to get free whoopie pie samples. Find your favorite flavor and then buy one (or more) to take home and enjoy the next day. There are free activities and games for the little ones, too.
- Race before you stuff your face. The Piscataquis Regional YMCA hosts a 3k race through downtown right before the festival gates open to the public. The run/walk will take away the guilt of the calories you’ll consume during the festival.
- Live music. Who doesn’t love some free entertainment? Sit back, relax, and enjoy a free concert. In the past, the band Destroy Them My Robots have regaled festival-goers with the sounds of the 80s.
- Great food abounds at the festival. Beyond the delicious flavors of Maine whoopie pies, organizers bring in unique and lip-smacking food vendors from all across New England. Festival organizers know you might need something savory to combat all the sugar…so they’ve got you covered!
- The artisan fair takes over downtown. Nearly 100 artisans, crafters, and small business owners set up shop so festival attendees can browse for unique mementos of their trip.
- Last but not least–the WHOOPIE PIES! Dozens of bakers share the classic recipe to dreamy flavors you’ve never thought of. Big, small, sweet, salty, you name it! These bakers work hard to wow your taste buds…so come prepared!
So start planning your visit today! Visit the Piscataquis Chamber of Commerce to find our more info about the beautiful Southern Piscataquis County region, including places to stay, eat, and other fun events going on.
Photo by Brenda Schultz